Sunday, October 11, 2015

Back on the Bike and Gym

Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with slipped disk on my lower back (herniated disk). This event was a big downer for me. I live an active lifestyle, going to the gym, running. playing football, and biking. However, I had to let go of all of these because the doctors (YES, doctors, I consulted two of them) recommended and advised to rest and sort of protect my back from incurring further damage due to strain.

I forced myself not to do any of the activities I love, it was hard and depressing. Since I couldn't do any physical activities, I turned my gym-time into chess-time! My football weekends became family-weekends! My morning runs or rides became walking the dog trips! I had to change my ways for my own benefit. Change is hard to accept, but it is part of life and we should just keep on doing what is best for us.

Although I badly wanted to play football or ride my bike, I kept at staying at home and doing non-strenuous activities. It was okay, but I really missed sweating out and releasing my stress through exercise. However, a for a few weeks now, I have gone back to the gym, and begun riding the bike (stationary)! Since I felt that my back has become stronger from all the core and back stretching exercises I've been doing, I became confident that I could start doing some light lifting and stationary biking. I asked the doctor if I could do these stuff and he allowed me to :) Since then, I have allocated some 30 minutes or so everyday doing these endorphin releasing exercises, and I love it!

Being back on the gym and bike even for small amounts of time, gives a lot of benefits. It's a free way to release stress, recharge my focus, and basically be healthy. Physically sweating out releases all of my stress be it from work, finance, and general life, sweating out gives me the chance to exhume all the strains that I have. Exercising also recharges my focus. I like it when I start to sweat and be in the zone that I start thinking of things that I want to do and how I will do it. I get to think clearly while on the bike. Lastly, of course all the benefits of exercising and sweating out points to a healthier life. All of these benefits comes from doing something I love, and best of all, it's free!


No comments:

Post a Comment